Wednesday, September 28, 2011

On NOT Becoming Obsolete...

A teacher is like an extension cord: plugged into two different outlets, bringing energy and power to each one.  On one end is her students; on the other is the rest of the world.  Her students are like the power source; if they aren't "plugged in", all of the power and energy is lost.  At the other end of the cord is the rest of the world, which is where her students appear to be connected.  This could be through a computer, in books, on a cellphone, or even face-to-face with each other. However, I believe that if a teacher isn't there to link the two sides, the connection is lost.


I found many interesting statements in George Siemens' article Connectivism: A Learning Theory for the Digital Age, but this really resonated with me:

"The starting point of connectivism is the individual. Personal knowledge is comprised of a network, which feeds into organizations and institutions, which in turn feed back into the network, and then continue to provide learning to individual. This cycle of knowledge development (personal to network to organization) allows learners to remain current in their field through the connections they have formed."


In the same line of thinking, one of the things he says in his video The Network is the Learning, is:


"If I'm not continually learning, I'm becoming obsolete in my particular field or knowledge space."


He then goes on to talk about how taking courses can only do so much at extending our knowledge and helping us continue to learn.  By being a part of a NETWORK of learners who share our interests and passions, our personal knowledge will continue to evolve.  


I, for one, do not plan to (as Dylan Thomas once wrote) "...go gently into that goodnight" as an educator.  Many of my peers are doing their countdowns toward retirement rather than keeping up with technology and creating meaningful learning opportunities for their students while at the same time, "speaking their language."  It's so important for me to keep my connections viable to feel like I'm doing right by my students, my district and myself.  I do not and will not pretend to be an expert on anything and enjoy being a lifelong learner in any form.  By staying plugged into what's going on in my field and adding my two cents where it might be needed or wanted, I will NOT become obsolete!!

1 comment:

  1. Your attitude toward lifelong learning means you will never become obsolete. Besides learning can be fun!

    ReplyDelete