Friday, September 9, 2011

Is Technology Making it a "Brave New World" for Teachers?

I find myself uniquely entrenched in this type of debate smack dab on the middle of the fence.  On one hand, I'm a classroom teacher who has historically used technology in the classroom to augment my instruction, but never use it in my place.  I'm always physically there, encouraging and managing my classroom.  On the other hand, I'm fortunate to be an online course instructor for high school students.  I helped create the curriculum for some of my classes and I supplement the others with other unique opportunities for students.  I skype (now there's a verb for the 21st century!) with them whenever we're able to make that work.  In addition, I use podcasts and record my notes for them so they can SEE, HEAR and READ them.  Does it replace my work as a teacher?  No!  Is it more difficult for my students to get my immediate feedback? Most definitely.

One of my major frustrations as a language teacher is the use of online translators (or apps) in the classroom.  Can I equate them with the introduction of calculators in a Mathematics class?  I'm trying, but it isn't easy! I think learning a language is just different than managing numbers, because they don't seem to change no matter which language you speak!.

2 comments:

  1. Julie,
    I think you have touched on several important issues in your post. With podcasts and other tools students have the useful option of repeated listening practice which many of them need. On the other hand, if they record their responses on a tech tool and you listen to their recordings later, there is no immediate feedback for them. By the time they receive the feedback, it may no longer be very beneficial.
    Of course, Skyping might help there as you point out.
    Regarding your question of whether the technology can replace teachers, I think the answer is a resounding "no". As you have mentioned, you choose the tech tools that you use in your f2f classes and you developed one of the online courses you teach. I assume that you are able to manage to some degree the pace of the other online courses by making needed adjustment and you certainly are the one providing feedback. So it would seem that the teacher retains a crucial role in optimizing the language learning process.
    Regarding the comparison of online translators and calculators, isn't there a crucial difference in that the calculators will always give the correct answers if given the correct input, whereas online translators will not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Burgos - I certainly agree with you in regards to the online translators! I have parents asking me whether or not I use them in class and there seems to be some confusion why I don't welcome them. I do have colleagues who allow them as a time-saver, but I'm a little "old school" in that regard! Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete