Friday, September 9, 2011

Blogging in the Classroom

While there are many blogs that I enjoy reading for leisure and information, it was only recently that it occurred to me that I could potentially use them in my own classroom.  I have a colleague who frequently used hers for her AP English class writing prompts, but I worried that my use might be a little too simple.  That was BEFORE I read, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, by Will Richardson.

After reading his chapter on blogs, lightbulbs started to go off in my head.  My curriculum standards are deviating from the TWO state standards and are embracing the national LOTE standards. The FIVE C's are Communication, Cultures, Connections, Comparisons, Communities (http://www.actfl.org).  These standards are perfect for the blogosphere.  I see myself using them for communication with my students, to help them make connections and comparisons between cultures of Spanish-speaking countries and how they can help in their own communities. All the while, they would be making their world smaller AND larger at the same time!

My students love to give feedback, whether it's positive or negative.  By encouraging students to own their opinions and feedback in a blog format, it's a win-win situation for me as a teacher.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, Julie. I left u a comment yesterday, but it's not here for some reason. I guess maybe there's something wrong with my computer. I like the flowing chart you showed here. It very clearly showed the process of using a blog to teach. Indeed, getting students' feedbacks is very important to us. In this way, we can get to know our students more and improve our own class, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Communicating is a great way of using blogs in our classroom and is also a foreign language standard. Furthermore, it gets students interested and actively participating in the class!

    -Mike Marcal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that the Richardson text is giving you new, useful ideas!

    ReplyDelete